Thursday, November 1, 2012

Guest Post From Crop Share Member Tara Johnston


It needs to be said…I despise beets. If I see one of those funny red-purplish slices laying on my salad, I will quarantine off that entire section, as it will have infected all the surrounding salad bits with its beetyness. Trust me, I’ve tried beets a number of ways, and each and every time I still think, “Well, if I licked the corner of a musty basement floor, that’s about what it would taste like.” So when I saw not one, but two, TWO, beets peering out of my crop share box, my heart sunk, right down to that musty basement floor of taste. However, I’d recently seen good ol’ Martha Stewart had a recipe for baked beet chips, and while I don’t really trust Martha or beets as far as I can throw them (I throw worse than a girl), I thought, “Why not, if they’re terrible, I’ll feed them to the squirrels.”

Thirty minutes later, I’m standing over the stove eating these beet chips right off the baking sheet. These weren’t beets, they were yummy purple chips, and I was eating them all! So for you fellow beet haters out there, all I am saying is, give beets a chance.

Baked Beet Chips

Ingredients:
2 medium beets
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil (I used coconut oil)
Kosher salt

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, with your racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Peel your beets and slice about 1/16” thick with a mandolin slicer (or if you’re like me and have a mandolin, but despise cleaning the thing, you can thinly slice by hand). Toss beets in oil and coat evenly, sprinkle with a dash of Kosher salt.

Evenly space the beet slices onto a rimmed baking sheet, making sure not to overlap. Bake on bottom rack until edges of beets begin to dry out, approximately 20 minutes. Then transfer to top rack to finish for about 10-20 minutes more, depending on thickness. Remove beet chips and transfer to a wire rack to cool. They will continue to crisp up as they cool off.

(Adapted from Martha Stewart: http://www.marthastewart.com/312807/beet-chips?center=136761&gallery=136112&slide=149057)

No comments:

Post a Comment