When I saw all of the beautiful spring onions in our box last week, with more on the way this week, for some reason this scene flashed in my head. Ah, the wisdom of Shrek. I love my cartoons.
The thing about onions is that they form the base of so, so many things we cook. I don't know about your kitchen, but my family of three easily goes through half a dozen in a week. The question is, when we get beautiful onions like these, the early spring ones, how can we actually feature them in the dish? What can we do beyond just using them in mirepoix?
|Photo via Epicurious|
- An obvious thing that comes to mind is French onion soup. That recipe is the right spices, but instead of chicken broth, use a good-quality homemade stock. If you can make or buy some demi-glace, even better! While the Irish aren't known for their onion soup, this one still deserves a try.
- The frittata that we made with last year's spring onions is still a great choice.
- While these are usually fall dishes for me, a pork stew with onions is great on chilly spring evenings. (Here's another.)
- Caramelized onions are an outstanding pizza topping!
- Dressed up German-style mac and cheese