Thursday, December 6, 2012

Guest Post From Crop Share Member Tara Johnston


I’m one of those weird people who just bloody loves cabbage.  As a slaw, braised, sautéed, thrown in mashed potatoes, or pickled to sauerkraut perfection, you name a preparation and I love it (okay maybe not stuffed cabbage, but that’s due to a rather unfortunate encounter).  So it was a bit surprising that my joy over a lovely head of cabbage in this week’s crop share was rather short lived.  It’s been rather exhausting around our household lately, so I was not overly thrilled with the prospect of the time-intensive methods of cabbage prep that I tend to turn to.  And then, once again, Martha Stewart, like a mildly judgmental and creepy angel, swept into my life with a beautiful gift -- a recipe for roasted cabbage!  One hacked up cabbage and 30 minutes later, we beheld its majesty.  I may or may not have proposed marriage to my roasted cabbage, it was really all a blur, but my husband understands.  So if you’re still staring at your crop share cabbage and hoping it will speak to you about how to cook it, trust me when I say that cabbage wants to get a tan in your oven!

 Roasted Cabbage

Ingredients:

1 medium head of green cabbage, washed & cut into 1/2 inch slices
4-5 Tbsp olive oil
Sprinkle of coarse-ground salt & pepper
Juice of half a lemon

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, and lay cabbage slices onto a baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil, and flip slices over to make sure both sides get coated.  Sprinkle some coarse-ground salt and pepper over top, and then squeeze lemon juice evenly over slices.

Pop into the oven and roast for about 25-35 minutes or until the edges are a nice golden brown.  Be careful when checking the oven as these bad boys give off lots of steam, so prepare for a steam facial when opening your oven door!

We served ours topped with some shrimp scampi, and the spare roasted slices even reheated amazingly in the microwave the next day.  I topped those with a bit more lemon juice and a sprinkle of dairy-free parm.


Adapted from Martha Stewart’s Roasted Cabbage Wedges (http://www.marthastewart.com/315062/roasted-cabbage-wedges)

No comments:

Post a Comment