Thursday, March 5, 2015

Not From Your Local Chinese Restaurant


This time of year involves a lot of citrus.  And that's a good thing.  But, toward late winder/early spring, after marmalade and cakes and lots of tangerines in lunch boxes, I start looking for other ideas.  Hmmm... what do I like to eat that has orange flavor...

I love orange chicken from our local Chinese restaurant.  It's spicy and sweet, which is one of my favorite combinations, it's crispy, and oh-so-bad-for-you.  Not to mention I haven't found a good recipe for it that I can make at home.  (If you have one, please-oh-please post it in the comments!)  What I have found is a couple of other chicken recipes with some good orange (or tangerine) flavors.

Photo via Epicurious

  • Sticking with a bit of an asian theme, these chicken thighs are broiled instead of fried and have wonderful flavor.
  • Spain combines citrus into lots of their dishes, and with a beautiful paprika it's awesome.  Nigella Lawson hits it out of the park with this recipe.  It's really easy, too.
  • Need a recipe for Sunday dinner?  Orange and rosemary is a great flavor combination.
  • I've flagged my first recipe for next year's Superbowl.  Spicy orange chicken wings!  Instead of frozen orange juice, I took the juice of about half a dozen tangerines and oranges and reduced it by half.  The flavor was really fresh and amazing.

Photo via Epicurious
Suddenly, I'm hoping we keep seeing oranges in our boxes for a few more weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment