Thursday, November 21, 2013

A Spin on Spinach!

Most of us are used to spinach as the base for a salad or as a creamed side dish that is equal parts comforting and also kind of disturbing.  But one thing we're all used to is...gritty spinach.  It's true, spinach collects more grit than a bathing suit bottom after a day at the beach.  But we've got a fail proof way to Beat The Gritty Spinach Blues and say goodbye to grit for good.  So follow that link little grasshopper and learn the the wisdom of grit free spinach because then you are all freed up to explore the versatility of this tasty green.


If you're wanting to pre-game your body before the Thankgiving caloric onslaught, plan to toss a handful into your next smoothie or juice it up and use up your beets and apples from this week for some ABC Juice.  When you juice spinach or add it to a smoothie, it has such a neutral flavor that it's easily hidden yet you still get all the wonderful health benefits, including that great iron boost.

ABC (Apple Beet Carrot) Juice


























Speaking of pre-gaming, throw some of that spinach into your tailgating festivities!  No not with a salad...with crunchy, savory treats!  Whenever I made these Baked Chicken Flautas, I always sneak some spinach into the mix, because then I feel a-okay about dipping mine right into sour cream.  I have a bit of an obsession with sour cream.

Baked Chicken & Spinach Flautas


























Did I mention my obsession with sour cream, because if not, you should know, I have a bit of an obsession with sour cream.  Now that that's out of the way, it's time to talk about another tailgating spinach classic...creamy, dreamy spinach dip.  I've been drooling over this recipe from Skinnytaste all day (it contains sour cream, tee-hee!) and this is exactly what I plan on doing with my spinach this week.  And before I bake it, I'm going to freeze that bad boy up, because a dip of this magnitude deserves to be featured during the Ohio State vs. Michigan game next Saturday.  Did I say game?  Oh I mean slaughter!!  Sorry Wolverines, though I'm sure the spinach dip would be a great comfort food to lick your wounds to.  So, enjoy this recipe from Skinny taste and for all my fellow Buckeyes...O-H-

Hot Spinach Dip via Skinnytaste





















No comments:

Post a Comment