Thursday, April 3, 2014

Oh Yes! Asparagus!

Did you see?  Did you?  Did you?  We're getting ASPARAGUS in the Crop Share this week!!!  I'm trying and clearly failing to contain my excitement because I remember this time last year, when I was on the other side of the Crop Share counter (for you newbies, this post will bring you up to speed!) and we had asparagus coming in for that weekend's share.  The order arrived, we checked the case on top, it was gorgeous, and then a few hours later we set to packing boxes.  But where did all the cases go?  We'd ordered 11, but we only could find 1.  Well crud.  Thanks to a mixup we only received 1 case, so no asparagus that week.  Then another cold snap hit and the crops that should have come in were delayed.  Still no asparagus.  So hopefully this year our luck will be better!  Come on asparagus, come home to mama!!  Plus, there's Brussels sprouts, AND mushrooms, AND eggplant, AND pears (follow the links to see our whole back log of recipes for each veg)!!  Dear Valerie Nalls, you are the wind beneath my veggie wings, this week is packed with all of my favourites!

So, since I'm more excited than a baby panda spending an entire day in a tree (panda cam stalker, right here)...

I love this tree!

And since I also have to figure out a way to run a food processor that sounds like a jet engine, in a small apartment, and somehow not wake up the Mister who's on night shift, here are two of our favourite asparagus recipes.  For those of you who also geek out over avocado, this first recipe is for you!

Asparagus, Fennel & Avocado Salad
















Baked Asparagus Fries via Spoon Fork Bacon
























No comments:

Post a Comment