Saturday, May 25, 2013

Chorizo Stuffed Poblanos

So yeah, today I finally got around to using up the poblano peppers from last week's share.  But oh they were so worth the wait.  I had a basic idea of what I wanted to do with them -- stuff them full of chorizo  -- so I figured if I loosely based it on my Mama's stuffed pepper recipe, it should turn out pretty good.  In the end, my hunch was oh so deliciously correct and the Mister declared these as, "the best stuffed peppers I've ever had!"  So from my kitchen to yours, a spiced-up take on a comforting classic...

Chorizo Stuffed Poblanos




























Ingredients:

2 lbs chorizo, removed from casing
½ cup Tropical Salsa (produced for Nalls Produce by Troyer Cheese, currently in store)
½ sweet onion, diced
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
½ cup rice, cooked
2 ears corn, cooked and removed from cob
3 poblano peppers, seeded, stems removed and lids reserved
1 lg can enchilada sauce, mild
1 cup rice, cooked

Preheat oven to 410 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine chorizo, salsa, sweet onion, garlic, rice and corn until mixed well.  Stuff each poblano with chorizo mixture, and re-top with the poblano lid.  Repeat with each pepper and place all into a large baking dish.  You'll have plenty of chorizo mixture leftover, so hand-roll up some albondigas (meatballs) and place those in the baking dish, as well.  Top everything with enchilada sauce and place into the oven to bake for 50 minutes.

Cook up remaining 1 cup of rice to serve with the stuffed poblanos & albondigas.  Serve each with a spoonful or two of the pan sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment