Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Great Pickle Experiment: Part 1

I love a good Kosher dill pickle, so after last week's post on how to turn your pickling cucumbers into homemade pickles, I decided to try my hand at this culinary adventure!



I riffed off of the recipe for Old-Fashioned Kosher Garlic and Dill Pickle Cucumbers, but not having fresh dill on hand, I did the classy thing and just guesstimated on how much dried dill (it probably ended up being one Tbsp full total).  Also, I used 7 cloves of garlic (sliced in half), and my jar could only hold 3 cups of water, so only 1 Tbsp of Kosher salt went in and 2 Tbsp plus another splash of white vinegar.  Plus, since I'm hoping to bring these to a cookout this weekend, I sliced them up to be used as pickle chips for burgers.

These lovelies are currently fermenting in a sunny window sill for the next 4 days, so I will update on Saturday with the final verdict.  Will it be a winner, winner pickle dinner?  Stay tuned to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment